Islands of Scotland
A new larger format gift book version of our best-selling little book, Islands of Scotland.
The isles of Scotland, each one its own little world with its own distinct nature, form one of the world’s most magical attractions.
There are, all told, more than 790 offshore islands scattered round the 6,000 miles of Scotland’s coastline. They range from the sizeable, such as Lewis and Harris in the Outer Hebrides, to tiny outcrops of rock that barely seem worthy of the name of island. Most readers will be familiar with the names of the four main groups: Orkney, Shetland, the Inner Hebrides and the Outer Hebrides as well as the smaller groups of islands in the Firth of Forth, on Scotland’s east coast, in the Solway Firth to the south-west and in the Firth of Clyde in the west. Also featured in this new gift book are islands normally off the beaten track such as Benbecula, Colonsay, Eriskay, Great Cumbrae and Jura.
- Ties in with new four-part BBC series featuring former Castaway star Ben Fogle.
- Called Sacred Islands, he explores locations from the Western and Northern Isles to the inner Hebrides to discover what makes each a place of “ spirituality and sanctuary “.
- Fogle first found fame in the BBC reality show Castaway 2000, which followed a group of 36 people marooned on the Scottish island of Taransay for a year as they created a fully self-sufficient community.
- “ I’m still fascinated by Scotland’s islands. The remoteness, the peace, the wonder – I even named my daughter Iona after one, “ says Fogle.
- The series will premiere on BBC Scotland, followed by BBC One Daytime.
- Islands of Scotland is distributed by Booksource, based in Glasgow, the country’s number one gift book distribution company who celebrated their 25th anniversary in 2020.